.post-title {font-family: 'Special Elite', cursive;}

Friday, July 6, 2012

Contentment

edit:  I actually wrote this post before I knew about a link up on Friday, but I am now linking up with #shereadstruth #sheshares week 1.  Hop on over there & check out what God is doing in the fabulous woman's lives.  

SheReadsTruth


I read this for the first time almost three months ago & it has constantly been a reminder at the back of my head many times since then.  It hit me like a ton of bricks how ungrateful I am for everything in my wonderful life.  Too many times I find myself thinking in my head about what I don't have instead of what I do have.  I blame part of this on reality TV--Keeping up with the Kardashians, all of the Real Housewives shows etc. etc.--if it weren't for watching those shows, I would never know what I "didn't" have when it comes to extravagant things & I wouldn't find myself in the place of wanting more, or wishing I had all the things that they had, or the freedom that they have with money.  Why I am sitting around worrying/wishing I had more when I have more than enough things to take care of me in life!  How selfish & WRONG of me!  

This has recently helped me to not take such simple things for granted.  I heard once, if you have $10 in your pocket, than you're richer than most people in the world.  WOW.  Think about that.  As I grow older, I don't want to take anything for granted, the rising of the sun, this wonderful country that I am blessed to call home, my beautiful & healthy son, the fact that I get to go to school, our freedom of speech, the outdoors...& I could go on & on....but I know so many days we look passed all those things & don't stop & say a simple THANK YOU--too often because we are worried about our latest wants   

Too often we find ourselves thinking about all the things that we don't have, & it takes our focus away from what we do have--& that's not how it should be. 

This brings me to contentment.  While doing Day 4 of #shereadstruth a while back, it touched on contentment & the fact that we always find ourselves wanting "more".  More...money, nicer things, more things, more clothes, more living space...etc. etc.   At what point are we going to stop & finally be happy with all the wonderful things that we do have?  

Philippians 4:11
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  

This is my goal & my wish for myself.  I don't want to sit around all day thinking about all the things that I want....I want to be happy & completely content with what God has blessed me with today--no matter what.   

We have a choice to make...we can either be content & grateful for all the wonderful things we have & don't deserve, or we can choose not to.  By choosing not to, you will spend your life harping on what you don't have & you will always be left wanting more & you will never find yourself truly happy with your life.  I would much rather choose to be content & grateful then life a life full of unhappiness!--Wouldn't you?  

Where are you not grateful where you could/should be?

Also...what would make you more grateful?

Ten things I am grateful for...& that I don't want to take for granted.  What are ten things that you want to say thank you for today & every day?

1. My parents & all that they do for me, my brother & Ryder
2. Ryder & the blessing that he is to me each & every day
3. My parents' jobs
4. My brother & the role he plays in Ryder's life
5. Getting to go to school
6. A roof over my head
7. A car...& the $ to put gas in it
8. My friends who are always there for me & are great listeners! 
9. The Freedom that we have in this country
10. LIFE!  

Photobucket

1 comment:

I love hearing from my readers! Don't be afraid to comment, I LOVE & read each & every one of your comments!